Sunday, 6 December 2015

Under Construction

Below is the very very rough copy of my Assessment 1. I know there is a lot of area I need to work on and still working on any feedback will be much appreciated.



Know Your Firm


Berenden PLC is a European company which is previously known as The Davis Service Group PLC. With more than 100 years of experience under its belt, Berendsen is experience in textile and service industry. There services includes investment in stock of textile goods, management of the stock, pick-up of soiled items, and delivery of professionally cleaned repaired and quality -checked textiles. They supply professional expertise in logistics, textile purchasing, textile maintenance and an optimised service for each customer.


With Peter Ventress as the Chief Executive Officer Berendsen employs 15,000 employees in 16 countries throughout Europe. There headquarters can be found in London, while there two business line offices can be found in Basingstoke and Copenhagen. With about 150,000 of customers across 16 countries an example of their services are they rent, launder, maintain and deliver workwear and linen and they also provide commercial washroom products and services.
Berendsen’s five business lines are:

Workwear: They rent, launder, maintain and deliver workwear to a wide range of private and public organisations across Europe

Facility: Their facility business line covers mats and washroom operations, they address the needs of broad customers base, and cleanroom operations. Berendsen focus on ensuring that their customers receives the highest quality standards.

UK Flat Linen: They supply rental linen and launder services to the hospitality and healthcare sectors in the UK.

Flat Linen (outside UK) – They also supply rental linen and laundering services to the hospitality and health care sectors outside UK.

Clinical Solutions and Decontamination – They provide a full range of specialist services to the operating theatres.


The three main challenges Berendsen faces are:

1.    Sustained Delivery- Berendsen continuously try to find ways to grow their revenue and to improve profitability.
2.    Strategy view – Berendsen re-examining their targets areas of focus and the way in which they deliver value to their customers
3.    Returned on Invested Capital (ROIC) – Berendsen ROIC continues to improve at 2010 their ROIC was 7.4% now it is at 9.9%

Another strong year for Berendsen PLC with a good results that shows on their 2014 Annual Report. Despite the economic backdrop in Europe Berendsen has found ways to grow and improve its revenue and profitability. Like the UK finance stated on their news article the group underlying revenue was up by 3% and the underlying operating profit is up by 6%.

One of their focus on 2014 was they reviewed and updated and improved their group anti-bribery and corruption policy.

Berendsens Vision and Values

“Our vision describes what we’re here to do: provide excellent textile services for our customers. It epitomises the way we do business and gives us a purposeful path into the future.”

According to Berendsen’s their employees from their senior management to production line are driven by a set of behaviours that their company values. It set up as their guide for all their internal and external activities. Their values such as determination how they are driven to achieve the best for all their customers at all times. Berendsen thrives themselves on challenges and work with drive and determination to keep achieving their organisation goals. They build a caring environment and relationship with the people around them and to the people they work alongside with. They do this by taking time to listen, look ahead and deliver exactly what their customers need.  Empowerment is one of the values that they implement on their day to day business. Berendsen encourages their employees to be the best they can be. According to Chris Thrush Group Director, Human Resources of Berendsen that “By strengthening employee skills, communication and engagement and assuring a safe working environment we can enable and empower our people to achieve our strategic growth plans.” And lastly they encourage their employees to work together with their customer as one team. You could say that their vision and values help them reach their organisational goal.

Strategic Objectives
Financial:
1.    Delivering sustainable organic growth
2.    Improving capital efficiency
3.    Maintaining a sound financial position
4.    Improving financial returns by leveraging operational efficiency
Non-Financial:
5.    Maintaining health and safety as a priority
6.    Maintaining a motivated workforce driven by an experience management team
7.    Reducing our impact on the environment

News Articles and videos gathered for Berendsen

I couldn’t find much article or videos regarding Berendsen PLC apart from what the company released on youtube and on their home website. I did add the video and I was fortunate to find one article not release by Berendsen which can be find in my blog article.
Link to my blog news article from the UK Finance:

Here is the link to the webpage:


Berendsen do have a news tab on their homepage and below is the link to the news page.


On this site you will be able to read about Berendsen highlights events throughout the years that made headlines and inside stories from the company in regards to their improvement and important industry developments.


Blog Discussion

I have to admit I wasn’t really into the blogging scene for a bit like I said in one of my earlier blog post I do have a habit of falling into the crack and I have to admit I did wasn’t really participating much in the blog forum. So with that being admitted and said the result is I didn’t really get much comments and feedback in regards to my blog page.

10 comments:
        
         
Beverley Kudzaishe Chirinda-Nyirenda19 November 2015 at 21:20
Interesting company you have, how is your company doing all in all?
ReplyDelete
Replies
                  
Stephanie Catalan29 November 2015 at 01:50
Hi Beverly,
                  Sorry late reply been busy and just trying to catch up now. So far from what i have read and i have posted new article update about Berendsen it seems that they are actually doing well and their revenue is up from the previous years. Doing a bit more research and will be posting more stuff about my company in the nearest future so stay tuned :)
                 
                  Thanks 
Delete


                  
Reply

         



         
Christyn Kelly21 November 2015 at 16:10
Hey! Just popping on to have a look at everyones progress so far. Looks like you scored an interesting company! How are you finding it so far??
ReplyDelete
Replies
                  
Stephanie Catalan29 November 2015 at 01:51
Hi Christyn,
                 
                  So far just taking it all in too much info to read and just trying to catch up with the work. I have post new blog in regards to my company but will be posting more later so stay tune :)
                 
                  Thanks. 
Delete


                  
Christyn Kelly29 November 2015 at 14:02
Oh its so overwhelming, isn't it?? I found it was much easier to just try to wrap my head around small aspects at a time so my brain didn't explode haha. Good luck with everything. its all looking great!
Delete


                  
Reply

         



         
jasons accounting journey21 November 2015 at 20:55
Well done so far Stephanie. Hope you keep up the great work.
ReplyDelete
Replies
                  
Stephanie Catalan29 November 2015 at 01:53
Hi Jason,
                 
                  Thanks and I'm trying my best to keep my page interesting stay tune for more info about my company . Good luck to you as well i will be dropping in and checking your blog soon :)
                 
                  Thanks. 
Delete


                  
Reply

         



         
Jade27 November 2015 at 21:14
Hey Stephanie,
         Your company looks really interesting! How are you going with the figures?
         
ReplyDelete
Replies
                  
Stephanie Catalan29 November 2015 at 01:55
HI Jade,
                  Yeah Berendsen is an interesting company especially i haven't heard of them so I'm actually doing a lot of reading and research about them just to keep my page interesting and not boring :)
                 
                  Thanks. 
Delete




Top 3 Blogs

In no particular order below is my top three blog I have to admit I envy their dedication and their enthusiasm about their company. I have to say I on the other hand since this all new to me which shouldn’t be the excuse I find it hard to connect to my company and my blog, maybe because it’s an assessment for an accounting subject or just scared venturing to new unfamiliar media and form of assessment.

Renae Gordon Lady of Ledgers
Renae is just wow! The way she presented her blog you could tell her enthusiasm and enjoyed what she’s doing. Well researched a lot of hours went into her blog page and it shows. Very informative, she even have graphs to help her viewers like me who is new to accounting to understand the spreadsheet. Since I’m new to accounting and cringe at the thought of studying this subject and get tired looking through my own company’s spreadsheet and understanding it looking at her graph is just a little bit easy to take in. Love how Renae inserts accounting humour with her blogs. This just shows that you can have fun while accounting. It show’s that she really read the annual financial report from front to back.

Nicholas Gregory
Nicholas blog is easy to read. Another well researched and informative blog. From reading his blog you can tell that like Renae he also put a lot of hours into his blog. Read his company’s financial report and dissect good informations out of it and relay it back to his blog which made it  a lot easier to understand for his viewers. Nicholas blog is very straight forward and to the point like how it look so simply and easy on the eye due to he doesn’t have any colourful background that can take your mind of what is into the blog.

Christyn Kelly
I find Christyn blog really good. I like how she added her personal interest and love for cats that she actually searched the web for accounting humour with cat images. Like the previous two blogs that I mentioned, I like how it shows that a lot of man hours went into this blog with the extent of her blog information. I find her background to be fitting her company the Hong Kong exchanges. Another well researched blog.


Are you happy with the firm you have been given and what concerns do you have if any?

I am very happy with the company I was given. At the start I was a bit apprehended on how I’m going to tackle this assessment. I am not familiar with the company that was allocated to me, I have never heard of Berendsen PLC before due to the fact that they are a United Kingdom company and my bad as well as a Business Major student I don’t’ do extra research outside what is I’m asked for to do for any of my past Uni assessment. I’m happy with what company was allocated to me. There homepage was easy to navigate around. Gathering information for the company wasn’t that to much of a struggle since all the information I need to complete the assessment can be find on their website and their annual report. The report is very easy to understand.

One of my main concern at this moment is how to present the spreadsheets especially the changes in equity. I am not familiar with spreadsheets and accounting formula. My knowledge on Excel is not good as well. I am still struggling at this point on how to do the spreadsheets. I even struggle on how to change the currency on the spreadsheet from dollars to UK pounds.


Overall I did find this assessment challenging and with no background on blogging and using Excel made it more challenging and learning experience for me.


Key Concepts and Questions





Step 3: Spreadsheets

This will be saved and send separately


Step 4: Reflections and Reaction on the readings of Chapter 1 and Chapter 3 of Study Guide



Chapter 1
A way of viewing business



  • *First thing I noticed when reading through Chapter one is the quotes from other people that Martin puts at the start of each chapter and new topic. For an example for chapter one “Reality leaves a lot to the imagination”, by John Lennon. This to me get my mind thinking how this relate to accounting and to me.
  • *    Chapter one is just a really light reading not much accounting term mentioned, a soft introduction. I myself not an accounting major and never really like accounting subject and numbers. As I read along lucky no numbers and calculations involve in this chapter.
  • *    Surprise to see that there is a lot of business in Yeppon than I expected. I heard from a friend of mine that Yeppon is a small beach town didn’t expect it to have so much business establish there as it show’s in the study guide.
  • *    In this chapter Martin looked back in time explained the origin of some of the accounting term that we use today.


Chapter 3
Introducing financial statements




Step 5: Feedback 

Feedback for Suzzane
  • First thing I noticed when I open your blog is too much red. Sorry but don’t like the background theme colour you have. It’s just too much for my eyes made it a little harder for me to read you blog but in the end my eyes adjusted J.
  •  I like how you set up your blog and added links to insightful information about your blog.
  • I like how you where honest that your not comfortable with the course and that how that you don’t see that your opinion matters and how creating a blog may help us understand accounting concepts. Like you I’m on the same boat don’t know how blogging may help me understand accounting concepts. But I do get their point on the assessment that blogging help us to connect and get to know our allocated company and just to give students different form of assessment structure away from writing long essays and reports.
  • Just to point you out, from what I read on the assessment task that we are meant to reflect on Chapter One and Three of the study guide. I read on our blog you wrote Chapter Two, just a typo error I guess.
  • Looks like your on the right track and have a good understanding of your company and accounting lingo credits goes to you having experience as a book keeper for a small business.

Feedback for Mia
  •  Looks really good how you did your key concepts and how you layout the whole blog and assessment rough draft.
  • I like how you did your key concepts and questions area. It shows that you did your reading and understood your company’s annual report. This shows by the way you present your company’s background information and you present it in your own words and not just copy what the annual report says.
  • Like your honesty as well how you didn’t get much feedback on your blog. I’m the same, which is partly my fault, I didn’t di my part and participate in sharing any of my thoughts to others in regards to their company and blog site.
  •  Like one of your feedback your blog and your draft copy is well worded and concise. Which does make it easier to understand. You being an experienced blogger made it easier for you to use this form of media. Over all well done on your blog and draft copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment